About the role
Balfour Beatty Vinci has an exciting opportunity for an Apprentice Laboratory Technician to join our team to work in Birmingham.
To support the management and delivery of materials engineering services within Major Projects.
This apprenticeship will be recruited in partnership with our training provider, Youthforce. Applications for this role will be shared with Youthforce as part of the selection and recruitment process. By applying for the role you are consenting to us sharing your data with them.
This role is a level 3 apprenticeship. Those with a higher level of prior attainment (e.g. a bachelors degree) in a scientific field may not be eligible for this apprenticeship.
What you’ll be doing
Working within the site laboratory team you will test the behaviour of bulk construction materials including concrete, aggregates and bituminous materials.
The results of these tests will be used to improve the performance of existing products, to eliminate faults with materials already in use, and to help with the development of new technologies.
This is a unique opportunity to develop a career within the construction sector, offering you the chance to develop skills and specialisms that are highly sought.
Within this role you will develop an understanding and knowledge of the implementation of various methods to examine materials, including non-destructive testing (NDT).
Through training and development provided you will work towards excellence in the following areas:
- Undertake 2-year apprenticeship to Level 3
- Live the Balfour Beatty Values
- Ensure all work is undertaken safely in accordance with required processes
- Undertake testing of materials including aggregates, concrete and asphalt in accordance with required standards, in the laboratory and on construction sites.
- Comply with the high standards of work required by the Quality Management Systems to required deadlines
- Maintain equipment to required standards as required by the Laboratory Manager
- Proactively communicate with senior staff to ensure effective communication
- Attend training courses and assessments as required by the apprenticeship standard and Balfour Beatty and maintain training records.
Who we’re looking for
- An interest in construction, science and laboratory testing
- Proactive in identifying problems and defects
- Flexibility to work out of hours including night shifts and weekend working as required
- Willing to travel to various locations across the UK
- Committed to self-development
- Accurate and meticulous person
- Creative and innovative
- A strong team player
- 3 GCSE’s at grades C/4 or above (or equivalent) including Maths and English
- Full UK driving license
Why work for us
Balfour Beatty VINCI is responsible for designing and building part of the most exciting and challenging railway project in Europe: HS2.
We are building the West Midlands section of HS2s Phase One route, spanning approximately 90km from Long Itchington in Warwickshire to the centre of Birmingham and on to Handsacre in Staffordshire. We will be employing thousands of people in the area to design and build the civil infrastructure for HS2 through the West Midlands area and are looking for a wide range of experts to join the team and support this unique, ground breaking project.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
You could help us build that civil infrastructure:
- 42 viaducts totaling over 11km, 66 over-bridges;
- More than 35 cuttings reaching over 30km;
- 56 culverts and other under-bridges;
- 66 embankments reaching over 33km;
- Building four motorway crossings requiring box structures and six interfaces with the existing rail requiring both dive-under and over-bridge structures.
Balfour Beatty Vinci is a long established joint venture between two global leaders in the delivery of critical infrastructure. Working together for over 30 years, we have been successful in delivering a number of significant infrastructures creating unrivaled expertise and capability across rail, highways and aviation sectors in the UK and beyond. In 2008, we announced our formal alliance with the aim of delivering modern and innovative solutions to the UK’s infrastructure needs. Since then, our collaboration has gone from strength to strength. We’ve successfully bid and delivered a number of key projects for Crossrail and Highways England Smart Motorways Programme. Balfour Beatty VINCI is a powerhouse for critical infrastructure. Our partnership – between two of the world’s largest construction companies – creates unrivaled expertise and capability across rail, highways and aviation sectors in the UK and beyond.