We are looking for enthusiastic and passionate individuals to join our Computational Support team as an Apprentice whilst working towards gaining a BSc (Hons) Bioinformatics Degree Apprenticeship at Anglia Ruskin University.
You will have the opportunity to develop in the area of IT and Bioinformatics, gaining valuable skills whilst working towards making a contribution to the institute. You will be given the appropriate training and learn from our experienced team where you will go on to:
- Develop and maintain Bioinformatics services and support for those new services
- Assist our scientist in their use of HPC and Cloud technologies
- Assist in the production running of large-scale scientific compute and data management
- Interact with our on-site scientists and informaticians as they tackle tomorrows scientific challenges
Our team is responsible for: large scale HPC, Cloud compute, Sangers large scale iRODS data repository and we provide and develop services and support for our bio-informatics teams. You will be involved in all key activities, with the intention to develop and take on more responsibilities as your knowledge and skills grow.
During your apprenticeship we can offer you:
- A mentor and membership to our mentoring program to explore your long-term opportunities
- A permanent publicly available portfolio of your coding and development
- A comfortable working environment with a first name culture, informal dress code, and company social calendar
- 25 days annual leave, increasing by one day a year to a maximum of 30
- Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, a childcare voucher scheme, Campus Nursery and Summer holiday club
- Two days paid Employee Volunteering Leave a year
- Employee Discount Scheme
- Campus Gym, tennis courts, cricket pitch and sports hall plus a range of dining facilities
- Active Campus Sports and Social Club
- Free Campus Bus Service
- 112 UCAS points or equivalent.
- A level Grade B (or equivalent) in at least one STEM subject, Maths desirable.
- At least 4 GCSE’s at Grade B/Grade 6 which must include Maths and English.
- If English is not your first language, you will be expected to demonstrate a certificated level of proficiency of at least IELTS 6.5 or equivalent.
- An interest in science and technology
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Good attention to detail
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Enthusiastic, flexible and proactive
- Ability to deal with changing priorities
- Ability to work within and contribute to a team.
- Eager to learn new skills