Start date: September 2020
Closing date for applications: 1st March 2020
Joining an Airbus Apprenticeship Programme could be the ideal start to your career, just as it has been for many of our Senior Managers today. Our Apprentices receive second to none training, gaining the necessary skills, knowledge and experience to enable you to make an immediate contribution when you enter the workforce.
Our Digital and Technology Solutions Degree Apprentices will be working within a multi-disciplinary team on products and solutions to keep the Airbus IT Industrial landscape running smoothly, reliably, and efficiently. By engaging in all phases of IT product development you will build and assemble high quality code on both commercial off the shelf (COTS) and custom built applications. You will be responsible for improving the stability and scalability of the systems, driving adoption of best practices, and developing new solutions to emerging problems.
Our unique 4 year Digital and Technology Solutions Degree Apprenticeship offers a full degree with no fees, plus vocational training with a regular salary. Through this Programme you will achieve a BSc (Hons) Applied Data Science, and gain professional working experience.
You will be studying via our partner Bangor University and Grwp Llandrillo Menai and your industry based work takes place at our world leading aircraft manufacturer site in Broughton (near Chester) North Wales.
This apprenticeship is delivered through a combination of on the job training at Airbus, and college based learning on day release over the duration of the 4 year Programme.
Whilst working at Airbus you will be based within the Information Management Or Digital Operations team, who support systems for manufacturing engineering, maintenance and shop floor operations; providing software which drive manufacturing machines to carry out tasks such as drilling, tacking, riveting, via interface programs between the IT system and the machine programmable logic controller.
You will learn key skills in Applied Data Science and you will have the opportunity to apply real world analytical practices which will support your learning whilst adding value to our business.
Key activities of the industry based work of this apprenticeship include:
- Participating in all product development lifecycle phases, including the analysis, design, test and integration of IT Products
- Participating and in some cases leading, Data Analytics projects to improve our manufacturing performance.
- Developing design specifications and parameters that are in compliance with products’ architectural blueprints
- Managing the adoption of tooling and industry best practices amongst the development teams
- Research, evaluation and development of new tools to improve IT product development efficiency
- Assemble and edit source code repositories to develop a software stacks for the IT product needs
- Deploy highly available, scalable, maintainable, monitored systems and services
- Project management / client work, involving gathering requirements, creating technical specifications and architecture documents, creating and maintaining documentation and managing a project timeline
- Assisting in development of product user manuals
This is an ideal role for someone with a keen interest in ICT, digital technology, internet of things, mobile apps, data analytics and technology watching/trend monitoring.
In order to be eligible for this apprenticeship you must have a minimum of either:
- 3 A-Levels as grade C or above, preferably in Maths, Sciences and IT.
- BTEC L3 Extended Diploma in an IT/Digital subject, at minimum MMM grade.
Please note that, due to the funded nature of this Programme, applicants with undergraduate degrees in computing/IT are not eligible.
The successful candidate will also be able to demonstrate the following skills:
- The ability to work well in a team, as well as focus on your own self development
- Experience or knowledge of IT product design and development
- Good acumen for Mathematics and Statistics
- Ability to manage problems, produce documentation, and complete testing
- Knowledge of Information and knowledge management
Please note that you must also include a cover letter as part of your application for this Programme which demonstrates your interest in aerospace and motivation to join the apprenticeship Programme.
Please note, we love your interest in working for Airbus but we do ask that you make only one application. We encourage you to take time to decide which of our exciting opportunities is right for you and then submit an application that best represents you, your skills and experience in connection with the role you have selected.