Pets at Home
This is a fantastic opportunity to come and work for a company voted 5th in the Great Place to Work (Best Large Workplaces) awards 2018, and Number 15 in Europe in 2017! We have over 450 stores and over 310 Groom Rooms and are the UK’s number one pet care retailer. Our business is fast-paced, innovative and fun and it’s our people that make the difference.
The Groom Room at Pets at Home is looking for Apprentice Groomers to join our quickly expanding Groom Room business. You will work alongside the Salon Manager and other Groom Room colleagues to ensure a high standard of pet care and customer service. Your main responsibilities will include bathing and prepping pets ready for their groom. While with Pets at Home you will work through our in-house training program to develop your grooming skills, starting with prepping dogs for their groom and then moving on to clipping and styling as you progress.
Reporting into the Salon Manager, your responsibilities will be as follows:
* You’ll deliver the very highest standard of pet care; your main responsibility will be the prepping and bathing of pets, as well as clipping their nails in preparation for the Stylist/Salon Manager to carry out the required groom.
* You will exceed our customers’ expectations by delivering Pawsitively Outrageous Service.
* Your excellent communication skills will be fully utilised as you will be dealing with customers and their pets on a daily basis.
* You will assist in ensuring excellent salon presentation is maintained and high standards are kept through cleanliness, safety and good standards of housekeeping.
* Our salons offer a great service every day of the week and so you will work 39 hours over 5 days out of 7
We offer a comprehensive in-house training programme, designed to develop our Assistant Stylists’ grooming skills, starting with bathing and brushing skills, then moving onto clipping dogs and eventually developing scissoring skills, so you can style pooches with fabulous results every time!
* You’ll be a people person, have a real passion for pets as well as being a great team player.
* You’ll be hungry to be part of a successful salon and you’ll be proactive in your approach.
* Ideally you will have experience of working with or handling pets in a professional grooming or pet care environment (please note that bathing and prepping your own pet does not qualify as professional experience).
* Candidates MUST HAVE a grade C (4) or above at GCSE or equivalent or Functional Skills at Level 2 in Maths and English or equivalent.
* Candidates MUST NOT already hold a level 2 or 3 Animal Care Qualification.
* National Minimum Wage for Apprentices £3.90 per hour.
* 28 days paid annual leave (including bank holidays)
* Birthday Leave – 1 day extra leave to celebrate your Birthday!
* An extra days holiday when you become a new pet parent (Dog/Cat/Horse)
* An extra days holiday when you move home
* Half a day holiday for your little one’s first day at school
* Pension Scheme
* Colleague Discount – 20% discount for you (plus one family member). This can be used in Pets at Home stores, Groom Rooms, Companion Care Veterinary Services and Pet Plan Insurance!
* Life Assurance
* Enhanced maternity, paternity, adoption and shared parental leave
* Caring4Colleagues (grants, savings and loans)
* Celebrating Special Occasions? You’ll get 1 extra week off and a gift to celebrate your wedding or civil partnership, and a gift from us if you are expecting or adopting a baby!
* Team reward vouchers
* “Treats” benefits – an online range of offers and discounts which are available exclusively to Pets at Home Colleagues.
* Charity Leave – You are entitled to have one paid days leave each year to work for your favourite animal-related charity.
* Values Awards
* Colleague of the Month Awards
* Cycle to Work Scheme