What you’ll be doing?
We’ve collaborated with Sheffield Hallam University to offer a bespoke Degree Programme which provides a unique chance for you to develop the qualities and skills to excel in your career in the house-building industry. It’s a great opportunity for those who are looking for an alternative start for their career rather than full-time Higher Education or those who wish to change career direction into a Quantity Surveying role.
Starting in January each year, you’ll join as a Trainee Quantity Surveyor, giving you hands-on experience from day one. You’ll attend 4x 1-week teaching blocks at Sheffield Hallam University each year, where we’ll put you up in a hotel and cover your food and travel costs. Over the course of approximately 5 years, you’ll achieve an industry accredited BSc (Hons) Degree in Professional Practice in Residential Development and Quantity Surveying.
Reporting to the Quantity Surveyor/Senior Quantity Surveyor/Chief Surveyor, you will be assisting the Quantity Surveyor in managing subcontractors, materials and goods whilst also preparing and monitoring site costs and conducting build cost analysis and budgeting.
You will be expected to:
- Follow the Sponsored Commercial Degree Programme, including attendance at 4 x 1 week annual block teaching at Sheffield Hallam University for academic study
- Continue to develop through reviews with your coach and mentor
- Assist the Quantity Surveyor in managing subcontractors, materials and goods
- Assist in the accurate costing and cost control for each aspect of site development
- Assisting with the compilation of all departmental reports and attend meetings as required
- Provide administrative support for the team whilst maintaining relevant filing and database systems
Current vacancies are as follows:
- North Scotland x 1 vacancy
- East Scotland x 1 vacancy
- West Scotland x 1 vacancy
- North East (Newcastle-Upon-Tyne) x 1 vacancy
- Yorkshire East x 1 vacancy
- Manchester x 1 vacancy
- North West x 1 vacancy
- Mercia x 1 vacancy
- West Midlands x 1 vacancy
- Northampton x 1 vacancy
- Cambridgeshire x 1 vacancy
- North Thames (Hertfordshire) x 1 vacancy
- Southern Counties (Surrey) x 1 vacancy
- Southern (Berkshire) x 1 vacancy
- Kent x 1 vacancy
- London West (Brentford) x 1 vacancy
- London East (Stratford) x 1 vacancy
- South Wales x 1 vacancy
- Bristol x 1 vacancy
- South West x 1 vacancy
- Exeter x 1 vacancy
- Southampton x 1 vacancy
For more information on our Divisional locations please visit http://www.barrattdevelopments.co.uk/contact-us/divisional-offices/
What you’ll need?
To be successful in this role, you’ll need ONE of the following:
- One A Level and 4 GCSE’s (C or above) including Maths and English OR
- BTEC National Qualification
- Advanced Diploma in Construction or Built Environment OR
- Other access or foundation courses
- More experienced entrants without formal qualifications will be considered on merit, taking into account such factors as their work experience, including those from the Armed Forces, and previous qualifications
You must have the potential to focus on customer expectation and commercial needs, as well as an understanding of the level of commitment required from you to successfully manage a working role alongside furthering your education.
Our Company and Benefits
We’ve been nationally recognised as a 5 star housebuilder ten years in a row for supplying high-quality homes for all generations. That’s more than any other major housebuilder. It’s because we combine the brightest minds, the latest technology, and a genuine commitment to putting customers first. We want the best people in the industry to help us shape the future of building. We have tailored opportunities for apprentices, graduates, experienced professionals and ex-Armed Forces personnel to come and help us stay one step ahead, and build the homes that Britain needs.
We are building an organisation where anyone with drive and talent can pursue the career they want. We are building a culture where anyone, regardless of gender, race, sexuality, disability, background or any other characteristic, can progress and be proud to work for us.
As part of working for Barratt Developments PLC and specifically for this role we offer:
- Full time role as a Trainee Quantity Surveyor with the opportunity to progress into leadership roles
- Up to £24,000 salary depending on location and experience. This is negotiable for those who bring management/leadership experience from other industries; for example Armed Forces.
- Competitive Bonus Scheme
- Support in achieving an industry accredited BSc (Hons) Degree Professional Practice in Residential Development and Quantity Surveying – approximately 5 years
- 4 x 1-week annual block teaching at Sheffield Hallam University for academic study
- Paid Tuition fees
- Accommodation, breakfast and evening meals paid for during block weeks
- Work towards professional membership
- One to one academic and business mentoring and development support
- 25 days holiday (increase by 1 day for every 3 years continuous service up to 28 days)
- Choice of Flexible Benefits
- Enhanced Family Friendly Policies